Friday, January 7, 2011

Week one 2011, How ya doin?

I don't know about you, but 2011 has been an adventure for me in just one week. Let me show you........

The start of this week was Cory's 34th birthday. We woke up and went to Kaiser to have some blood work done that we had both been putting off. Since we had both taken the day off to celebrate his day of birth and planned to meet up with our friend Caitlin for brunch, why not start the day with fasting blood draws? Mine was all pre-pregnancy crap to see where my levels are at before I get knocked up, and his were for his annual physical. A little stick and poke then off for brunch at Genies.




After a delicious brunch, we looked at an apartment in Caitlin's building. She has been trying to convince us to move in to her building for months. Her landlord showed us a two bedroom with the BIGGEST master bedroom I have ever seen in a dingbat style apartment building ever. With that, we have decided to move in. We will be moving next month, once we get our tax returns. The apartment is over in the the Sellwood area off Milwaukee and Holgate. For those of you that are not locals, our new digs are within walking distance of an awesome cheap seats theater, these are old time movie houses that show first run films for around $3.00 and sell amazing local pizza and beer. Also nearby is an awesome nature reserve called Oaks Bottom, one of my favorite places to eat, "Fat Albert's" and this old school funky little amusement park here called "Oaks Park". I am so flippin excited! The apartment might be smaller than what we have now, but location trumps everything. We have lived in the deep, deep South East long enough. I am also very excited to be living next too one of my favorite friends, Caitlin. She rules massively, and plays the drums better than anyone I know.

Later that day we got our test results and I got some unfortunate news.....My A1C level is elevated. What is an A1C level you ask? It's the way you measure your blood sugar, and mine is high enough to make me "Pre-Diabetic". Pre-Diabetes is kind of a "gray" area between normal and Type 2 Diabetes. My dad had Type 2 and my sister was also pre-diabetic, not to mention the fact I'm native and chubz.

I spoke with my doctor and she told me not to worry too much and all that I need to do is make some dietary changes and lifestyle adjustments. Cut out the sugar, combine protein with carbs, and exercise more.
*sigh*

Ever since the funding from my last job was cut and I moved over to the group home, my activity level has dropped to almost zero. Yeah, sloth life settled in for the last 3 months, and oops.

So the rest of my week, and for weeks to come, will look something like this...

Wakey wakey


Breakfast is now bran cereal with rice milk, whole wheat toast with vegan "butter", cup of coffee with xylitol and soy milk. Not too bad, some days I had fruit instead of the piece of toast.



And we have boned up on our leafy greens.



We also have been working out daily after work. On non-gym days we just go for a 30 to 40 minute walk around the hood. It's not been too difficult of a change really. Prior to mine and Cory's union, I ate pretty well and was a bit more active. I have always been a thick lady, and actually prefer the way I look when I'm thicker. Lately I feel awkward, my clothes don't fit right, and I just feel blah. This new discovery could also be the reason behind us not getting pregnant right away. So this coming week I have to have a full day of fasting blood tests, drinking sickly sweet drinks then having more blood drawn to find out if I have Type 2 Diabetes or not. My doc thinks that with the subtle changes, I should be fine and my A1C levels will drop. But this is not just a "Hey I need to get my blood sugar down" thing, this is a "Holy shit, I can die if I don't do something" thing. I'm excited to be working out again, and while I will miss chocolate, I will be happier to feel comfortable in my skin again.

This week at work, I had the best time with one of my clients grocery sopping, yes I said shopping for groceries. We went to WinCo, and I LOVE that place. It's a huge warehouse of food, employee owned, offers deep discounts because the store is not about flash. It's box's of produce are piled high, pallets of dry goods up and down mile long aisles, and the most AMAZING bulk bins I have ever seen. A lot of people talk shit about WinCo, but I'm not sure they ever gave the place a chance. You know why poor folk shop at places like this? Because they are willing to bag their own groceries for a discount. I dig bagging my own food, getting amazing deals on bulk items and grinding my own almond butter!





To wrap up my week, my bf Caitlin came over for a hair cut that turned into her cutting my hair as well. I am growing out my hair, have been for over a year and the goal is to have it almost to my butt. Right now it's just past my shoulders and feels like it's a big brown mess on my head. Caitlin asked if she could take the clippers to my head....and I let her. Now before you get wound up, I only took off a small section on the left side...I like to call it my homage' to Cyndi Lauper! This weekend I plan on bleaching out a section and coloring it some crazy pink-purple-turquoise mess. Needed to shake things up, and since I'm not pregnant right now, why the hell not?


J-Mo

C-Love

So 2011, it's been a busy, exciting, and eye opening year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment