Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Freaks



I was always pretty fascinated with freak shows and side shows at circus's and county fair's as a child, a mixture of fear and intrigue. Perhaps that sparked my interest in body modification and tattooing in the mid '80s.

I got my nose pierced on the Venice boardwalk when I was 14 and had downed an entire 40 oz bottle of Budweiser. Needless to say, I passed out and fell off the stool. My mother was mortified and I loved it.

Later, when I was 15, I got my first tattoo in a hotel room in Mexico by my best friend, Jenny Brown. It was a very crooked "Black Flag" with the flag bars on top, also very crooked. My mother REALLY hated that, and with that I was hooked for life.

I lost count of how many actual tattoos I have, I do know that I am fully sleeved on both arms, my back is partially done, and I have 3 tattoos on each leg. My most creepy one is my vampire bite that is located on the right side of my neck.....most folks do a double take upon first discovery. My favorite one at the moment is a tie between my jar of french mustard and my stargazer lilies.




Every piece I have, I got when something big happened in my life....a new city, new love, someone died, best friends, new life paths, feeling pride in something, whatever. It doesn't take much for me be convinced that something will make a good piece of art.

I also have had a few piercings. My septum has been pierced for about 15 years, and had to be re-done 4 times due to surgeries, allergies, loosing jewelry while on tour, whatever. I have had my tongue, lip, labret, ears several times, and almost.....my nipples. I totally chickened out after having a breast reduction, I really didn't want to mess around anymore, my boobs are pretty amazing on their own....not to toot my own horn, but toot toot.

Currently I have plans to re-do my back piece, an homage to circus freaks. Specifically female freaks, Betty Broadbent, Monya The Snake Lady, Violetta The Half Woman, and some amazingly awesome female fire breather. I also want to cover my calf pieces with my favorite fruit and veg and a huge piece of Nick Blinko's art. But all this costs money, a lot of money.....that I currently am lacking.




I never seem to realize how tattooed I really am until I'm naked and dating someone new, or when the warm months come around and the layers come off.

I love that I am part of "weird" American history, being a tattooed woman that is not ashamed of my freakishness. Funny thing is, I don't think I am all that "weird", and in contrast to other people into tattoo culture, I really am pretty normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment