Wednesday, July 9, 2014

43 trips around the sun


Tattooist Irene 'Bobbie' Libarry
In two more days I will be 43 years old.

43


Fourty-three

I never thought I'd make it past 30. My sister didn't, why would I? I never imagined life beyond my twenties, so perhaps, that is why the last 15 years just sort of flew by without any concern. I have just been living my life, moving, changing jobs, new friends, body changing, more and more tattoos, husband, kids, grey hair, then 43.

I used to make a big thing out of my birthday, and as I have aged I have found myself less and less concerned with big parties. I did small dinners out with friends for a while, and this year we are having Chekota's adoption ceremony on my birthday. I did that on purpose. I wanted her special day to be a part of my special day. My intention is not to take from her, but to share something very special with her.

We tell her often that she has two mommy's and daddy's and another brother and sister. Of course she doesn't understand, but my hope is that when she does, having her adoption date and my birthday together, will give her and I a special bond. Creating special bonds and celebrations, separate from Kai, I feel are important for Chekota. Navigating the waters of bio kids and adoptive kids, is sometimes a challenge. But my hope is that Chekota will know that we love her as much as Kai, even if they have different birth stories.


I've been thinking a lot about my being "middle aged", what that means, and truly letting it all hang out.

I'm letting my grey hair come in, and I feel very liberated since having my hysterectomy. This is something I didn't think would happen because I was so sad before the surgery. Now, I feel like a whole new woman. I'm EXCITED to get older...and older...and wiser. The comfort I feel as I get older, is something I cannot explain. I no longer feel the need to keep up with trends and technology. Sure I'm still interested in those things, but I'm not worried about falling behind. Same goes with tv shows, fashion, and pop music. It almost feels like I should be going back to my ways when I was 18...wear what I want, listen to the music that I have always loved and prefer, and be that weirdo lady.

I guess I am basically saying that I am very grateful for still being here, still strong, empowered, and happy. I'm looking forward to the next 40 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment